High Quality Rivets for Precision CNC Applications(how to remove chrome from a bumper Zachary)
- source:BAGANZ CNC Machining
What Makes a Quality Rivet?
When assessing rivets for high-precision uses, there are several factors that determine how well they will perform:
- Tolerance - The best rivets for CNC applications have very tight diameter and length tolerances, often within +/- 0.002” for the shank diameter. This ensures a solid fit without too much play or risk of cracking.
- Consistency - From rivet to rivet in a batch, there should be minimal variation in dimensions and geometry. Rivets within a bag or box should be virtually identical.
- Strength - The rivet must be strong enough to handle the shearing forces involved in riveting and hold the materials securely together. Hardness levels around RB 90 are typical.
- Materials - Aircraft-grade aluminum is the most common choice, though stainless steel, copper, and monel rivets also see use. The material must be durable enough for the application.
- Head shape - Various head shapes like round, countersunk, and universal are available to suit different situations. Heads should be well-formed and consistent.
- Finishes - Many rivets have surface treatments or platings to resist corrosion, improve hardness, and enhance appearance. Common choices include zinc, cadmium, anodizing, passivation, and e-coating.
By paying close attention to these characteristics during manufacturing, rivet makers can produce products that live up to the demands of CNC machining and other high precision uses.
Precision Rivet Manufacturing Processes
In order to achieve the tolerances and consistency required of rivets for CNC applications, rivet manufacturers employ special production and quality control techniques, including:
- Cold forging - Heading and shank forming is done with cold forging rather than hot forging for greater precision. Cold forging allows tighter process control and tolerance.
- Automated machining - Computer-controlled machining tools cut and form rivet shanks to precise specifications. Automated equipment provides accuracy and consistency.
- SPC monitoring - Statistical process control (SPC) means constantly measuring samples from the production line to ensure dimensions, hardness, and other parameters are within the required standards.
- Vision inspection - Machine vision systems accurately gauge the characteristics of finished rivets and screen out any defective parts that don’t fall within the stated tolerances.
- Lot traceability - Detailed production records allow each lot or batch of rivets to be traced back through the manufacturing process for quality control purposes.
- ISO certification - Adherence to ISO 9001 or other quality management standards is a sign that the rivet maker follows strict production and inspection protocols.
Reputable rivet suppliers will make use of processes like these to deliver premium products suited to CNC and other high-precision fabrication work.
Recommended Quality Rivets for CNC
Here are some of top quality rivet options currently available that are well-suited to CNC machining applications:
- Aircraft aluminum cherry rivets made to NASM20426 specs
- Offered in countersunk, universal, and round head styles
- Diameters from 3/32” to 5/16” for a wide range of uses
- Reputed for consistency and high shear strength
- Rivnut threaded inserts for bolting applications
- Made from lightweight aluminum or stainless steel
- Flush mounting for low profile appearance
- Resists vibration and shock loads
Boellhoff BSO Plus Rivets
- Structural blind rivets for sheet metal and other materials
- Copper, steel, or aluminum body with steel, aluminum, or stainless steel mandrel
- High shear and tensile strength
- Range of head styles and lengths available
Stanley Engineered Fastening Pop Rivets
- Widely used aluminum pop rivets suitable for softer materials
- Quick and easy for manual or automated setting
- Tight diameter tolerances for precision fit
- Range of head styles, lengths, and materials
Haefely Tek Rivets
- Hardened steel rivets with very tight tolerances
- Used in aircraft engines and other high-stress applications
- Capable of high preloads and residual clamp loads after setting
- Made in Switzerland and known for Swiss precision
With rivets playing such a fundamental role in CNC machined products and other high-precision components, using those that meet stringent manufacturing and quality standards is a must. By opting for rivets produced by reputable makers using advanced automated processes and rigorous quality control, manufacturers can rely on having strong, consistent, and accurately sized rivets that help ensure the integrity of assembled components. With processes constantly improving, the best rivets today offer higher precision than ever before. CNC Milling